- Genetic information is personal.
- Genetic information should be considered private.
- Genetic data should be managed in a manner consistent with health information data.
- Genetic information is complex, knowledge is incomplete, more research is needed to fully realize the power of this information.
- Medical genetic information is producing valuable treatment decision-making insights and opportunities for the development of new treatments, early diagnosis, and prevention.
- Consumer genomics/direct to consumer genetic testing is a rapidly emerging field but it is too early to know how beneficial this information will be to the general population.
- Consumer genomics provides a powerful opportunity to educate the public about genomics and the interdependency of genomic predisposition with the environment and behavior (diet, exercise).